Nicole Byer’s audition levels of blackness including “middle friendly negro” + Pete Holmes’ facial reactions is pretty much on point.
For fans of:
- Small, harrowing stories about immigrant families trying to get by while raising a child with autism
- The frenetic energy and crowded solitude that is the NYC subway system
- A grounded performance by young Jesus Sanchez-Velez
- The aural joy of turning your headphones off and letting the sounds of the city wash over you
- Nostalgia for the very real impending doom of Hurricane Sandy (most notably for residents of the Rockaways)
- A Kickstarter project that did its supporters right
Though released over a year ago at the Tribeca Film Festival it also unavoidably echoes the Avonte Oquendo tragedy that occurred months after its premiere.
It’s getting a small theatrical release this weekend but is definitely worth checking out once it hits other outlets down the road.
Will always love ?uestlove’s continued efforts to push D’Angelo out there.
The first promo for The Maya Rudolph Show is here!
Love seeing Bashir and Diallo back on the screen.